Monday 3 March 2008

So far today...

This pile of raw materials

Became these

It’s my favourite carrot cake recipe. I had lost the recipe for a long time (it was a photocopy out of a magazine), it made me sad. Then a friend said that carrot cake was his favourite kind of cake and magically this awesome recipe reappeared. Funny how that happens. That was back in November. It was a big hit with his household with at least two of the children saying it was, “the bestest carrot cake in the whole world!” Ah, you gotta’ love kids. Since I hate raisins I chopped up some dry dates so there was still that moist chewy sweetness, without the chewing-through-shriveled-skin feeling raisins gives. Yeah, I’m not really into cannibalism.

This is the first time I've made it since then. I still need to put it together and hopefully it won't become Drunken Carrot Cake. Be sure there isn't any alcohol in the cake, but usually by the time I get finished with the cake it looks like there was copious amounts of alcohol in the cook. Ah well, fingers crossed.

Oh, and after checking the photocopy there is no magazine title listed, it must have been on the other page so I can't even find a link to the recipe. It's pretty basic though, just throw tons of cream cheese/sugar at it and all will be good with the world.

I have also gotten the hexes sewn together into a blanket. There are more than 100 and surprisingly this foray into crochet didn't use up that much of the acrylic. Well, it's quite possible that the acrylic still residing in the suitcase prison has begun to breed in an attempt to take over the house. I don't want to know.



So the blanket is basically square and if you look on the pic there is a side on one hex that isn't sewn to his partner yet. I'm thinking I might add a little pocket in that space, might make a handy place to slip the remote or kleenex. You can't see the back because there are lots of stray ends hanging out, but use your imagination. I think I was a little down when I started this, looking at the colours it's very drab and not even a touch of purple snuck in which is odd for me.

Hopefully there will be a drool-worthy cake finished soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the colors of the afghan! Very pretty...greens are my favorite colors. :)

Eva said...

Absolutely gorgeous colors! The blanket looks too good to be called "Granny". Let`s call it hip! :)